.

Massachusetts Archives

Search collections

Collection categories

Browse collections

information

Health and Human Services (544 collections) CHC

Water supply notes [Massachusetts Division of Sanitary Engineering]

Part of: Massachusetts Division of Sanitary Engineering

Water supply notes, 192- - 193-..

10 record center cartons
Call no.: HS6.21/2618X

Scope and Content: State oversight of public drinking water supplies and systems in Massachusetts  has been exercised successively by the following agencies: State Board of Health (1869-1879), State Board of Health, Lunacy, and Charity (1879-1886), and State Board of Health (1886-1914); also State Dept. of Health (1914-1919) and Dept. of Public Health (1919-1975), specifically from 1914 under the Division of Sanitary Engineering, renamed Division of Environmental Health in 1969 (including its Bureau of Water Supply and Water Quality). As of 1975 the division’s functions were transferred to the Dept. of Environmental Quality Engineering (renamed Dept. of Environmental Protection in 1989), where that relating to water supply was assigned to the Division of Water Supply within the Bureau of Resource Protection.
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by municipality
Notes: Transferred to Archives by Dept. of Environmental Protection, Jan. 2014
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly administrative meetings [Cushing Hospital]

Part of: Cushing Hospital

Weekly administrative meetings, 1964-1971.

Partial record center carton
Call no.: HS6.20/2663X

Scope and Content: Cushing Hospital in Framingham, Mass., intended for the care and custody of elderly persons, was purchased by the Commonwealth from the federal government in 1955, opened in 1957 under the Dept. of Mental Health, transferred to the Dept. of Public Health in 1984, and closed in 1991.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Restrictions: Mental health client information restricted by statutory provision MGLA c 123, s 36. For conditions of access consult repository
Notes: Transferred to Archives by Tewksbury Hospital, Tewksbury, Mass., Mar. 1999
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Restrictions: Mental health client information restricted by statutory provision MGLA c 123, s 36. For conditions of access consult repository

Weekly reports [Rainsford Island Hospital (Mass.).]

Part of: Rainsford Island Hospital (Mass.).

Weekly reports, 1854-1866.

4 volumes
Call no.: HS3.14/743X

Scope and Content: Rainsford Island in Boston Harbor was the site since 1736 of various hospital and other charitable institutions administered and funded alternately or jointly by Massachusetts and Boston.  In 1854 a hospital for sick state paupers opened there, first under the auspices of the Board of Alien Commissioners and then from 1863 under that of the Board of State Charities; it was also used as a military hospital from 1864 and closed in 1866.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Restrictions: Some restrictions may apply
Notes: Volume 1: May 1854-Jan. 1856. Volume 2: 1861. Volume 3: 1862. Volume 4: Oct. 1863-Oct. 1866
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Restrictions: Some restrictions may apply

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges [Massachusetts State Almshouse (Monson, Mass.).]

Part of: Massachusetts State Almshouse (Monson, Mass.).

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges, 1854-1872.

1 document box and 12 volumes
Call no.: HS3.06/945X

Scope and Content: The State Almshouse at Monson provided residence for paupers without settlement in the Commonwealth from 1854 until 1872.  Series was created to record admissions to and discharges from the institution on a weekly basis as reported by superintendent to parent state agency–Board of Alien Commissioners; from 1863, Board of State Charities.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges at the State Primary School [Massachusetts State Board of Lunacy and Charity]

Part of: Massachusetts State Board of Lunacy and Charity

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges, 1866-1892.

13 volumes
Call no.: HS3.05/927X

Scope and Content: The State Primary School, opened at the State Almshouse at Monson in 1866 and continuing after the almshouse’s closing in 1872 until 1895, provided lodging, instruction, and employment for dependent and neglected children under age sixteen without settlement in the Commonwealth and some juvenile offenders.  Series was created to report their admission to and discharge from the institution on a weekly basis to the parent state agency–Board of State Charities; from 1879, State Board of Health, Lunacy, and Charity; from 1886, State Board of Lunacy and Charity.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Notes: Spine title: State Primary School returns
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges at the State Primary School [Massachusetts State Board of Lunacy and Charity]

Part of: Massachusetts State Board of Lunacy and Charity

Weekly reports of admissions and discharges at the State Primary School, 1866-1892.

13 volumes
Call no.: HS20/927X

Scope and Content: In  Massachusetts, the State Board of Lunacy and Charity and its predecessors, the Board of Charities (to 1879) and the State Board of Health, Lunacy, and Charity (1879-1886), received weekly reports from institutions under their jurisdiction. Among these was the State Primary School, opened at the State Almshouse at Monson in 1866 and continuing after the almshouse’s closing in 1872 until 1895, provided lodging, instruction, and employment for dependent and neglected children under age sixteen without settlement in the Commonwealth and some juvenile offenders.  Reports list weekly admissions and discharges from the institution. –Format for v. 1-3 (to 1872, closing of the almshouse) for admissions is same as: Massachusetts. State Almshouse (Monson, Mass.). Admission registers ((M-Ar)929X). Printed categories for entries are school no., name, age, birthplace, from, date admitted, condition, remarks.  For discharges categories are school no., name, age, birthplace, date, and where sent.  Weekly summary lists no. last report, admitted, born, discharged, died, deserted, remaining, and whole no. to date, divided by boys, girls, total, and boys, girls, total in school (i.e., receiving instruction) –Format for remaining vols. divides admissions into full admission as pupils (school no., name, age, birthplace, admission date, from, former or support or temporary custody no., remarks) and admission of persons for support or temporary custody (no., name, age, birthplace, admission date, from, sent by, condition).  Discharges are similarly divided (no., name, age, date, how discharged–to State Primary School (i.e., as  full pupil), on trial (with a family), from 1880 on board (with a family), or permanent discharge by state board–but latter not listed if already out of school with a family), wither sent, to whose care).  Those discharged from support or temporary custody will typically be listed the same week under admission as pupils.  Weekly summary lists no. last report, admitted, discharged, died, deserted, remaining: divided through 1882 among pupils (boys, girls, total), juveniles in custody (i.e., offenders: boys, girls, total) and state paupers (men, women, boys, girls, total), with grand total.  Through 1882 juvenile offenders were classed as support or temporary custody; after 1882 they were given immediate full admission, with totals (now in red) for informational not incremental purposes; some dependent and neglected children were also given immediate full admission, including those per St 1882, c 181, ss 2-3, and all after 1890. –Source file is: Massachusetts. State Primary School (Monson, Mass.). Register of weekly admissions and discharges, 1876-1895 ((M-Ar)925X), and see also: Admission registers, 1866-1895 ((M-Ar)917X)
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Notes: Spine title: State Primary School returns. Formerly classed under (M-Ar)HS3.05: Massachusetts. State Primary School (Monson, Mass.)
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly returns of admissions and discharges at the State Farm [Massachusetts Division of Aid and Relief]

Part of: Massachusetts Division of Aid and Relief

Weekly returns of admissions and discharges at the State Farm, 1931-1939.

8 volumes in 1 record center carton
Call no.: HS5.01/489X

Scope and Content: In Massachusetts, the Division of Aid and Relief (Dept. of Public Welfare) received weekly returns from institutions under its total or partial jurisdiction. Among these was the State Farm at Bridgewater, the site successively of a State Almshouse (1854-1872) for so-called willing and needlessly dependent paupers, and the State Workhouse (1866-1887). The State Workhouse was renamed the State Farm (1887-1955), which also included a State Farm Hospital for the medical needs of all inmates, as well as locals and poor admitted solely for medical treatment. –Although in 1919 the Dept. of Correction became responsible for the State Farm as a whole, the Dept. of Public Welfare, through its Division of Aid and Relief, was responsible for the remaining pauper admissions to the State Farm, largely those admitted to its hospital (Infirmary Dept.) for medical care. The division’s settlements unit remained in charge of investigating settlements (through 1950) of those paupers admitted to the State Farm. The division’s institutional unit had the State Farm Infirmary Dept. under its jurisdiction, and was charged with the admission and dismissal of pauper department. inmates. Although Dept. of Public Welfare charges were generally sent to the State Infirmary at Tewksbury (later Tewksbury State Hospital and Infirmary), St 1921, c 486, s 28 allowed the department to transfer paupers from one state charitable institution to another, including to the State Farm for those whose labor could contribute to the cost of their support, or in an emergency. From 1930 onward, the Infirmary Dept. inmates admitted from the cities and towns were gradually discharged, with all thereafter sent to the State Infirmary, with the last one dying at the State Farm in 1939. Thereafter the department only oversaw care at the infirmary for those male indigents not chargeable to any city or town, generally those released from the State Farm Prison Dept.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Notes: Volume for 1938 lacking. Formerly classed under (M-Ar)HS9.10: Massachusetts. State Farm
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly returns of admissions and discharges at the State Infirmary [Massachusetts Division of Aid and Relief]

Part of: Massachusetts Division of Aid and Relief

Weekly returns of admissions and discharges at the State Infirmary, 1894-1935.

39 volumes in 9 record center cartons
Call no.: HS5.01/961X

Scope and Content: In  Massachusetts, the Division of Aid and Relief (Dept. of Public Welfare) and its predecessors, the State Board of Lunacy and Charity (to 1898) and the Division of State Adult Poor (State Board of Charity, 1898-1919), received weekly returns from institutions under their jurisdiction. Among these was the State Almshouse at Tewksbury, opened in 1854, and renamed successively the State Hospital (1900), the State Infirmary (1909), Tewksbury State Hospital and Infirmary (1939), and Tewksbury Hospital (1959).  The almshouse, established as a residence for paupers of the Commonwealth, evolved after closing of other state almshouses in 1872 into an institution for ill or infirm public charges who could not be transferred to the State Workhouse (later State Farm) or otherwise discharged.
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Restrictions: Public health hospital/clinic client information restricted by statutory provision MGLA c 111, s 70. For conditions of access consult repository
Notes: Spine title varies: State Hospital returns; State Infirmary returns. Lacks returns for 1896, 1909. Formerly classed under (M-Ar)HS6.11: Massachusetts. State Infirmary (Tewksbury, Mass.)
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Restrictions: Public health hospital/clinic client information restricted by statutory provision MGLA c 111, s 70. For conditions of access consult repository

Weekly returns of admissions to and discharges from institutions [Massachusetts Department of Mental Health]

Part of: Massachusetts Department of Mental Health

Weekly returns of admissions to and discharges from institutions, 1916-1945.

Originals (sample only): (1 document box) Copies: (148 microfilm reels ; 16 mm.)
Call no.: HS7/1502X

Scope and Content: Programs and institutions for the mentally ill and retarded of Massachusetts were among the responsibilities successively of the Board of State Charities (St 1863, c 240), State Board of Health, Lunacy, and Charity (St 1879, c 291), and State Board of Lunacy and Charity (St 1886, c 101).  They were then the sole responsibility successively of the State Board of Insanity (St 1898, c 433), Massachusetts Commission on Mental Diseases (St 1916, c 285), Dept. of Mental Diseases (St 1919, c 350, ss 79-81), and Dept. of Mental Health (St 1938, c 486). The Dept. of Mental Health and its predecessors have had general supervision of all public and private institutions for the mentally ill, mentally retarded, epileptic persons, and persons addicted to alcohol and narcotics.
Arrangement: In two subseries: (1) Public institutions (2) Private institutions; Arranged within each subseries by institution, thereunder chronologically, then by patient no
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC

Weekly summaries [Massachusetts State Hospital (Tewksbury, Mass.).]

Part of: Massachusetts State Hospital (Tewksbury, Mass.).

Weekly summaries, 1892-1902.

2 volumes in 1 document box
Call no.: HS6.11/909X

Scope and Content: The State Almshouse at Tewksbury opened in 1854.  It was renamed successively the State Hospital (1900), the State Infirmary (1909), Tewksbury State Hospital and Infirmary (1939), and Tewksbury Hospital (1959)
Arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Notes: Contents: Oct. 1892-Sept. 1895.  Oct. 1895-July 1902
Related Catalog Records:

Archivegrid
OCLC